Selection of Courses
Edwin O. Smith High School schedules each student individually. Students should select courses carefully with their own abilities and goals in mind. Before entering each grade all students are asked to confer with their counselors. The program is subject to review and change as a student's abilities and interests manifest themselves and are reflected in achievement.
Students, therefore, should not elect courses lightly with the thought that, "if it doesn't work, I'll change" ...the change is not always possible.
Course changes will not be made in September unless:
- the student completed the course in summer school
- medical reasons preclude taking a course
- level change
- course overload
- failure to meet a prerequisite
- program change
- adding an available course within the first week of a semester
- extenuating circumstances reviewed by Guidance and teacher involved.
"Teacher shopping" is not a legitimate reason for choosing a course and will not be honored as a reason for changing a class before or after a student is actually scheduled into classes.