The World Languages Department follows the national standards for Foreign Language Learning.
There are five essential goals of language learning:
- Communicate in at least one language other than English.
- Gain knowledge and understanding of other cultures.
- Make connections with other areas of studies and acquire information.
- Participate in multilingual communities within a variety of contexts.
- These standards encompass all languages, ancient and modern.
By the end of grade 12 E. O. Smith High School students who have chosen to take World Language classes will:
- Communicate in at least one language other than English;
- Gain knowledge and understanding of other cultures;
- Make connections with other areas of study and acquire information;
- Participate in multilingual communities within a variety of contexts; and
- Understand the nature of language and culture though comparisons.
Adapted from the Connecticut’s Common Core of Learning
|Sarah Smith, Department Chairperson||Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.|