Career and Technical
This department includes Business Education, Family and Consumer Science, Technical Education, Cooperative Education/Work-Study, and Tech Prep Programs.
The underlying purpose of our department is to provide students with an educational experience that will encourage students to explore careers in technical fields such as computer graphic production, technology, marketing, accounting, computers, video production, engineering, Allied Health, Teaching, Law, Business Administration, CAD, Architecture, Culinary Arts, Child Development and Human Development. Students may undertake intern/externships if interested, or as part of some courses. Courses range to all levels, college to basic understanding.
As a secondary purpose, the department provides training and support for students and staff, in becoming proficient in a variety of technical skills such as computer skills, desktop-publishing, word processing, video production, digital photography and graphics production, and other essential skills including personal and business law, work ready skills, basic accounting and personal finance.
This department includes Business Education, Family and Consumer Sciences, Technical Education, Cooperative Education/Work-Study, and Tech-Prep Programs
By the end of Grade 12 at Edwin O. Smith High School, students who have taken courses in Career and Technical Education will:
- Become aware of the world of work and its function in society, diversity, expectations, trends and requirements.
- Explore a range of careers and specific requirements in selected career clusters.
- Evaluate personal interests, aptitudes, education, experiences and opportunities to promote informed career choices.
- Acquire employability skills as they relate to selected areas of study.
- Demonstrate positive attitudes toward work.
- Understand the role and importance of collaboration in a productive society.
- Identify and develop leadership attributes for application in team situations.
- Understand the impact of technology on social, cultural and environmental aspects of life.
- Think critically and apply disciplined problem-solving, decision-making strategies to enhance the quality of life.
|Brendan Walsh, Department Chairperson||Hours: Monday - Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.|